Thursday, September 23, 2004

The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly

In retaliation for having to hear a Colin Raye cd through the cubicle wall all day yesterday, I listened to the same four songs all day today, songs from The Nightmare Before Christmas. (I can't tell you how glorious I find the combined genius of Tim Burton and Danny Elfman, but that's another story.) Needless to say, this resulted in office tension. But I didn't start it.

This has been a rather unbloggable week. I'm not saying I didn't write a word, I'm just saying it was not suitable for public viewing. None of your business, really. I've been grumpy this week, tyrannical and despondent. I alternately harassed and hid from friends and family. They put up with it with such grace that karma can't possibly ignore it. Master Yoda would have flunked me after a week like this, because all I could do was try. I tried to forget that it snowed Monday. I tried to focus on the August statement from the local paper, which was a monument to complicated billing disasters. I tried real hard not to want something I can't have, knowing it will just hurt me anyway. When I was little, all you had to do was try your best and everything came out fine. The older I get, the more inadequate I feel, the easier it is to get discouraged. Plus Jo is gone this week, fishing in Washington, and it's much harder to endure life with humility when you don't have in front of you a shining example of what happens otherwise, though I must say it seems to work for her, and I adore the result.

I'm fully aware that I'm not much fun this week, and my general policy is to avoid foisting my negativity off on others. So instead of whining some more, I'll leave you with my nomination for greatest music video of all time, simply because it has the power, for some reason, to considerably elevate my mood no matter how dismal I am. I positively worship at the shrine of the entertainment Gods that orchestrated the fabulous Christopher Walken's divine role in Fatboy Slim's music video Weapon of Choice. If you haven't seen it, you must. It's one of the most delightful and enlightening things that exists on this planet. I'm exaggerating a little, but seriously. The 'hall of mirrors' bit very nearly puts me over the edge every time. But I won't spoil it for you, just in case. Go see it. Go.

2 Comments:

Blogger Shooter said...

That was hilarious. Thanks for the laugh. Hope you start feeling "up" again soon. I know the feeling and was there for about the last 2 weeks.

September 24, 2004 at 11:44 AM  
Blogger Lisa said...

I loved your vengeful work tactics. I did something similar with a fraternity party next door one time. And I must agree. That is one of my favorite videos of all time! It always puts a smile on my face. Especially his walk during the "you won't attract the worm" part...it's so hilarious. Thanks for the compliment on the story. I moved it over to my real blog and actually garnered up the nerve to email the link to the story (and story alone) to the person it's about.

September 28, 2004 at 6:15 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home