Thursday, December 03, 2009

November Remembered

Sun breaks through on the Overthrust, Evanston, WY

Bowling Balls at Fireside Lanes

Anonymous Cuteness

Brent and A walk by the Ice Ponds

Brent and A at the relocated and refurbished Moondance Diner, LaBarge, WY

Dance floor at the Legal Tender

Self Portrait with Trombone and Books

I got to play tonight, perform tonight. Allan, Tom, and Kevin (who lived in the house I grew up in in Kemmerer when he was 3) invited me to fill out a brass quartet for some Christmas chorales in the warm coffee shop while everyone else froze their butts off on parade floats decked to the hilt with lights and trees and bundled kids. I rehearse with the city big band once a week and immensely enjoy just making music with a group, but there's something about performing in public -- no matter how big or small the crowd -- that makes it rewarding in a way I can't explain. Mellow, harmonious brass arrangements of Christmas carols put me right in the holiday mood tonight, and Mom was the best thing about it, snapping pictures and beaming and appreciating like she has ever since I picked up the trombone at the age of 10. Twenty years, me and the slide trombone. Wow. The big band is booked for the City Christmas Party next week, which enables me to go without really having to interact with anyone (you have to be present to win the $500 drawing). Perfect.

It's been crazy busy, holiday busy. But I have some milestones to mark and some musing to do, so hopefully I can carve out a quiet corner this weekend and sculpt my thoughts into phrases that make sense. I've been attempting more sleep, more gratitude, and more organization, but I might be trying to stuff a square peg into a round hole. Except for the gratitude thing. That's coming along fine. So is The Thing Up My Sleeve, and I can't wait to show you, but not tonight.

1 Comments:

Anonymous mister anchovy said...

Merry Christmas and happy New Years. I hope 2010 is a great one for you.

December 24, 2009 at 10:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home