Thursday, July 10, 2008

Some Like it Hot

After the smoke from the 4th of July cleared, I did the math and discovered that over the weekend, Puck consistently got 32 miles to the gallon out of that $40 tank I got Thursday afternoon before going to Salt Lake City to pick Brent up at the airport. An effortless 32 mpg. On seriously vicious dirt roads and highways and freeways and up and down the mountains. With the air conditioner going full blast all the time, packing four people half the time, and their shoes, groceries and beer. We went 360 miles and still had just under a quarter of a 13-gallon tank left. All I can figure is that either the break-in period is finally over and he's hit his stride, conditions just happened to be right, or maybe Puck also loves summer. Go figure. Arizona, here we come.

I have a mad girl crush on Anne Hathaway, and not just because I think she bears more than a passing resemblance to my lovely cousin, our other, littler A. (I am not just Marvelous A, see. I am also, historically, Little A.) Get Smart was dorky and fun (mmmmm, The Rock), and she looked fantastic through the whole thing. I've loved her since Ella Enchanted, though, so this came as no surprise. And I love that after her breakup with Raffaello Follieri, she looks like a million bucks and behaves with dignity, unlike another blubbering starlet I would like to drop kick, one who is apparently now dating John Mayer, who looks unclean.

I'm obsessed with hickory smoked Gouda and green seedless grapes.

I don't understand why the fire chief mows his lawn in all his glorious County regalia. I walked by his house on the way to meet M and Bear the other evening and watched him pushing the mower with his bulky radio flopping on his hip and other clunky official items dangling off his belt. His light blue uniform shirt was plastered to his back and it had to be hot in those navy slacks and black boots. And he was not on his way to work, either. He could have taken a moment to run in and change. But it occurs to me that I've never seen him in anything but that uniform, which makes me suspect that it's painted on. I also watched him seal his driveway in it once.

It's my Friday.

3 Comments:

Blogger Mary said...

I saw Anne Hathaway once on the sidewalks of New York City, her makeup worn off at the end of the day, carrying a Starbucks cup. She was absolutely breathtaking. And also a LOUD TALKER. I would have followed her to hear her conversation, but I really didn't need to.

July 13, 2008 at 1:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

your moving to Arizona?

July 13, 2008 at 8:45 PM  
Blogger A said...

Now that I think about it, yeah, she totally seems like a LOUD TALKER. But that's neat, because it means she's not shy or freaked out by her fame, right?

I would like to live somewhere where it doesn't snow, yes, but I bet I'm going to wind up in upstate New York or Seattle or Denver or something. So I can't say that I have concrete plans to move to Arizona, no. But I'm going somewhere.

July 14, 2008 at 12:12 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home