Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Tailor Made

The official status of my Caliber is the production stage known as "D," which sounds awfully cryptic but simply means that the next update Dave receives (which could come any time in the next two weeks since Monday was 30 days) will be a shipping notice.

The suspense is killing me, but I've resisted calling the dealership every afternoon because I know my cellphone will ring as soon as it arrives. However, Bud has no compunction whatsoever about asking Dave for updates whenever he sees him, whether it's at the grocery store, the dealership, or Kate's.

Judging by the flabbergasted reactions I've received when I announce that I ordered the car, there must be a common misconception that I'm paying extra for a designer vehicle. Not so, people. I actually saved money by requesting a custom configuration because I avoided paying for options I didn't want, like the leather seats (saved $500), scandalous sound package (saved $800 -- who needs an in-dash 6-CD changer in the age of the mp3?), and the automatic transmission (saved $1,000 and countless nightmares) featured on almost all the models I found on dealers' lots. There is no added fee.

Of course dealers want to get rid of their inventory as quickly as possible, and if you happen to find exactly the model you're looking for, thank your lucky stars and sign on the dotted line. (Just remember that unethical dealers may bloat the price because they've been paying for insurance and security on that vehicle while it waits on the lot.) I wanted an unusual interior/exterior color combination and a manual transmission, so I pretty much had to order it.

The moral of the story: the only drawback to ordering a vehicle is the waiting.

3 Comments:

Blogger a572mike said...

The waiting has got to be killing you! Ordering a vehicle is cool, and dealers do love it when you do it since it doesn't go on their floor plan. Chrysler/Dodge used to put the name of the person that the vehicle was specially built for on the window stickers of special orders back in the 90's when I worked at the Dodge dealer in Laramie. Make sure that they don't throw away the window sticker when it gets its PDI and detailing!

November 15, 2007 at 12:45 PM  
Blogger mister anchovy said...

I've never ordered up a car. Mostly I've bought them used (last winter I bought a 2001 Corolla), and driven them until they've given up the ghost. One day maybe I'll get a new one.

I'm sure the anticipation will make it even better!

November 15, 2007 at 8:04 PM  
Blogger A said...

I checked with Bud (who gets a new truck from Dave every four years)and he saves the window sticker for you. I'm glad.

I never thought I'd order a brand new car, but circumstances have made it not only possible, but actually practical. I will drive this car until it is nothing but a rusty heap. That's what I do, too.

But ZOMG, I called the dealership today (I was being so good, but something told me I'd better check on it before I get too excited) and the expected ship date isn't until the 27th -- YES, of THIS MONTH! -- and they said it usually takes 3 weeks after that. So it may end up being The Biggest Christmas Present Ever, since that puts it here the week before.

I'm FREAKING OUT.

November 15, 2007 at 8:36 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home