Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Marvelous A Version 28.0

I'm counting down a number of things, passing pensively through a simultaneous array of last days. Tomorrow evening around 8 p.m. I'll be 28 years old, and it's sad to see my 27th year end. It was a very good year. Maybe my best yet.

I only have a few days left in this hobo-infested basement apartment, my home for the last four years. I only have a few more payments left on my college loans and credit cards. I only have a few more months to enjoy the Cadillac and her eight roaring cylinders and 4.9 liters before I'm down to four cylinders and 1.8 liters and a lot less cargo space. I only have 10 lbs. to go before I'm at my original target weight, which sounds so neurotic but has never prevented me from consuming cake, so it can't be that unhealthy. I only have a few more days of summer. I caught a metallic tang on the air this morning, and the breeze was sharply cool.

All these endings make way for beginnings. I am beginning too many things to get into tonight, but you may rest assured that in my 28th year there will again be music. I got a call from Judge Mealey as I was leaving the plant today, and he said they're starting up the big band again and he thought I might like to play bass trombone. Would I? Our first rehearsal is next Wednesday.

So that will help to pass the time while I tick off my last days in Evanston, which may still number in the hundreds, but you never know. I don't know what to wish for when I blow out the candles tomorrow, because at the age of 27 I got everything I've ever wished for. But at least I know that 28 is not nearly the end of all things.

It's only the beginning.

3 Comments:

Blogger mister anchovy said...

Happy Birthday.

August 24, 2007 at 5:48 AM  
Blogger a572mike said...

Happy Birthday A!

August 24, 2007 at 8:41 PM  
Blogger Mary said...

Belated birthday good wishes! I wish I'd been a little more timely, but perhaps this will just serve to extend your birthday celebration, and then that's a good thing. In fact, if you're extending the celebration as a result of my good wishes (and really, you should), it's probably also appropriate to eat a bit more birthday cake.

Enjoy twenty-eight!

August 29, 2007 at 4:27 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home