Wednesday, April 13, 2005

Hot Rod Heaven

I'm operating on the assumption that you don't already know this, but my father is now God's head mechanic. I sure hope God's a GM guy.

I love you, Dad. Thank you for everything in the world. You sure did it right, just snoozing quietly away at home like it was no big deal. Not for you the ambulance ride, the hospital bed, the tortuous final struggle. You died like you lived: your way, without a second thought, and for once you picked the easy route, for you and us. I miss you like crazy, but I wouldn't have had it any different. I thank God for what you didn't have to live through, and I praise Him for what you did. Morg and I couldn't have asked for a better dad, for better advice, for more laughs, for better lessons. Like Mom says, you sure had a good run, and it must have been one helluva reunion. I had no idea how many utterly devoted friends you had on earth, and I'm sure there are just as many who beat you to that big pit row in the sky. You weren't having much fun here any more, and I know that, wherever you are now, it's incredible. One last checkered flag, and I think you won. I love you.

1 Comments:

Blogger A said...

Thank you. JOB I know, and Dave that lovely phrase bolstered me in many difficult moments. Fear not- mine is not a family to mourn; we celebrate. I had him a lot longer than some kids have their dads... but oh, there are moments I want him back! It's just one of those times in life you add to the roster of dates, of instants: "the day I lost my dad." It's just that simple. Life goes on, like he'd have wanted it to.

April 20, 2005 at 10:38 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home