Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Bean Dip

I'm having a rather exhilarating night. I changed the battery in the Cadillac (which isn't a big deal at all with the right tools, but I've been putting it off because I was afraid the battery wasn't the problem) and when she roared to life I whooped out loud and startled Dave upstairs. Or maybe the roar startled him, because that car literally SNARLED. In a good way. She puffed a little white smoke and settled into a gentle rumble and was mellow and powerfully compliant when I drove her around the block. I'm going to get it together and list her on Craigslist and KSL.com and hope that somebody needs a lovely, reasonably priced runner.

Her interior is not in the best of shape, the navy leather is intact and pliable but the stitching has come undone in places, and the carpet is a little frizzy and stained, and the faceplate of the aftermarket single-CD player doesn't fit exactly so there are slivers of chrome showing. But somebody will appreciate her glossy, clean ivory exterior and that big, feisty engine. She'll need a cheap muffler somewhere down the road but it's hard to find a clean, running car (and a Cadillac, no less!) for under $2,000 so hopefully the sheisty economy won't stop somebody from taking her home. A good home, please. Please.

I purchased a bag of dehydrated fat-free refried beans (I'm testing things out for food storage because most canned goods have this ooky metallic flavor I can hardly stand, with the exception of condensed tomato soup, which I LOVE especially when Bekah makes it totally taste like pizza) and decided to rehydrate a few tonight to go with my favorite Rojo's fire-roasted salsa. It turned out fine but somewhere in the middle of the process I was getting worried, because the taupe flakes were just floating in the cloudy water and looked alarmingly NOT like food, unless maybe it was processed food for pet birds or rodents. And it amuses me what we will go through to industrially "simplify" a foodstuff that should be natural and wholesome and, well, simple. I think I'll be buying my beans dry in the bag from now on, thank you.

It's been chaotic and stressful and sort of an emotional strain (I simply cannot be tactful ALL THE TIME) at work lately and I so desperately need the catharsis of blogging about my job, but the subject(s) deserve care and thoughtful expression, so it's going to have to wait until I have a few hours to give it my best effort. Lots of things deserve my best effort right now and I CAN'T DO EVERYTHING, people, not all at once. But given enough time, I'm beginning to think I can do everything. Eventually.

3 Comments:

Blogger mister anchovy said...

I can handle dehydrated or freeze-dried food if I'm camping in the bush or on a canoe trip or something like that, but that's about it. The exception is dried porcini mushrooms which are excellent in almost anything you use them in.

January 21, 2009 at 8:08 PM  
Blogger Shepcat said...

Re: the fourth paragraph: It seems advantageous that you happen to be in love with an editor who's accustomed to perusing prose with an eye for libel.

I'm just sayin'.

January 21, 2009 at 8:53 PM  
Blogger A said...

We used to bust open the freeze-dried astronaut food at the aerospace museum gift shop. Some of that was just frightening, but the freeze-dried ice cream sandwich was always a favorite. The novelty, probably.

I don't know if I can get dried porcini mushrooms around here, but I'll look. Sounds tasty. And I love those french fried onions that come in a cardboard can.

Cupcake, nothing I could say about my job would incriminate me in a court of law -- I have witnesses! WITNESSES!

January 23, 2009 at 11:39 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home