Monday, February 25, 2008

Close Call Watch 2008

So... if you don't have a carbon monoxide detector, get one now. Even if you just had the furnace checked out. Even if you live in a new house. My grandmother Rose and her sister Lil nearly tipped the statistical scales last Wednesday when the furnace in Lil's home (to which Rose had fled after an electrical fire in the basement made her own home temporarily unlivable) malfunctioned and pumped carbon monoxide into the house. They were flown to Salt Lake City from the clinic in their small Wyoming town, where they were lucky to have been correctly diagnosed with carbon monoxide poisoning.

By the time we got down to visit them Thursday night they had each been in a hyperbaric chamber a few times and were doing very well, joking, alert and comfortable, although tired and shaken. If a friend hadn't called and managed to wake Lil, another hour of exposure would have taken them past the point where they could be revived. Scary stuff, kids. We're so glad they're still with us. Everybody else, get thee to a hardware store if you don't already have a CO monitor!

2 Comments:

Blogger a572mike said...

Wow! I'm glad to hear that your Aunt Lil and your Grandma are OK.

February 26, 2008 at 1:56 PM  
Blogger A said...

Thanks! We are, too.

On a happier note, yay for winter honeymoons in the Black Hills!

March 2, 2008 at 10:24 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home