Wednesday, October 05, 2005

Fracture and Facade

It snowed two fast-melting inches yesterday, and I'm torn. It was beautiful. But I am not ready for the winter. Today I conducted a tour for 25 teenagers, most of whom should be shipped off to boarding school for the duration of their adolescence, and possibly tied to separate trees and left for the wolves if corporal punishment fails to improve their attitudes. This evening, over in the valley, we watched Kindra get her butt kicked at powderpuff football by the hostile Miss Hefty, #71. It was close enough to be proud, 22-20. Then there was pizza. And Buzzword, at which I excel. And an ex-boyfriend (not mine). And now, when I should be sleeping, there's an outrageously grotesque romance on television, but Hugh Jackman is in it and his accent is so enthralling that, despite Meg Ryan's sneering, perky mug, I can't turn the damned thing off. He's so smooth it's scary. I think Mom's right about him. She's always had good taste.

4 Comments:

Blogger Shepcat said...

The next time you watch Kate & Leopold, pay extra-close attention to the way Meg Ryan lisps ever since she indulged in the completely unnecessary collagenizing of her lips.

October 6, 2005 at 12:24 PM  
Blogger dorothy rothschild said...

I would cry if it snowed here this early. I grew up in Texas and always loved the rare times when it snowed. But then I spent 8 years in Ohio. I hate the stuff now. Brrrrr.

October 6, 2005 at 1:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would cry if it snowed too. But they would be tears of joy. I lived at the foot of a mountain for 27 years and it didn't snow once. No wait I tell a lie it did snow once. When I was farming and I was doing 4am starts. But the snow lasted for like 2 minutes and didn't even cover anything.

It's odd living at the foot of a mountain and not seeing snow but when the mountain is surrounded by land on onside and ocean on the other and is only 4Km high then it doesn't really snow below 2Km from the top.

Hugh Jackman's pretty cool and played Wolverine good. I also liked Kate and Leopald but only because I like time travel. Incidentally I've almost finished my time machine. Is there any time you wish to go? I hear the Jurrasic Period is pretty good this time of year. ;-)

October 6, 2005 at 4:34 PM  
Blogger A said...

My Lord, is that what the heck happened to her? I couldn't put my finger on it, so I just squinted really hard every time she was included in the frame. I can also cause my vision to blur on demand with no apparent side effects. That helped.

Daily life with snow simply makes you hate it. I'm dreading having to plug my truck in every night, put chains on the Cadillac, and scrape ice, not to mention the damper it puts on travel plans. In San Diego the weather wasn't a factor in anything but my mood. Now my world revolves around it for seven months out of twelve.

Thanks Wookie, but 30-foot lizards aren't my cup of tea, and I have a mountain of fossil fish in my foyer; Mom and I go pick them up on the desert. But I can think of a zillion places at times that I'd sell what's left of my soul to go. That would make a good post sometime.

October 6, 2005 at 6:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home