Tuesday, December 28, 2004

Red Light, Green Light

A couple came to the counter this morning at City Hall and asked me about renting the Machine Shop for a wedding some weekend in July. I pencilled them in and took their name and number, which I wrote down in the calendar book Mikey uses to keep track of the reservations. Half an hour later, while I was on the phone with another customer, Jo handed me a Post-it with a name and number on it, and I didn't recognize them as the woman's. I returned the call and as soon as she started talking about July it all came back, but Jo was truly disturbed when I told her I hadn't put the two together. Have I no short-term memory? Is it because I was focusing on something else? Do I not focus at all?

I despise my job. (The actual work and logistics, not the people and place. City Hall is lovely and the girls are my friends. But the paperwork!!! Ugh!) I want a new one. There's a slim-but-there chance I could get another one here at the City, at the Water Treatment Plant, but there's a minefield between now and then, and I'm not sure I want it bad enough to dodge the flying debris from Jim's and Mikey's offices. And I'm not sure I want to work for someone who goes by his high school nickname, which is 'Oop.' He's a nice fellow, but I have to tell people that when they call for the Superintendent of Public Works. I say "that would be Oop Hansen, I'll transfer you." They say "what? Oops?" and I say, "no, Oop. Please don't ask me," and they giggle. Which is only a tiny bit gratifying, even though I like to make people laugh. Local government jobs, mes amies, are a pain in the ass.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

BTW, did you get my email responses? I hope they didn't offend you or anything...if so, I am very sorry. I realize I was rather blunt, but I admire you very much.

December 28, 2004 at 3:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

go for it, the new job, you won't be working directly for Oop, but for Bud

January 3, 2005 at 12:01 PM  
Blogger A said...

I know who you are. And yes, you're right. But 'Bud' is a slightly more dignified name than 'Oop,' isn't it? They should be like you, and have two, although both yours are dignified. I think it would be a total blast to work there. I'm tired of not learning anything new every day. I foresee serious difficulties, too, but I'm ok with that. I'd do anything for something new!

January 4, 2005 at 7:13 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home