Sunday, August 29, 2004

Pygmalion

To the Ladies and Gentlemen at City Hall: You misdiagnose my restlessness. You certainly underestimate my ambition. You seem doubtful that I will ever achieve more than you have; you seem content to watch me follow your paths to contented obscurity. I'm not mocking your supposed mediocrity; I wouldn't judge you like that. But I will not be a martyr, a victim, tyrannized or opressed in any way. I was not made to be conventional. I am not average, ordinary, standard, typical, common, or moderate. I am exceptional. I am rich in gifts that require nurturing, discipline, cultivation, and opportunity. I am protean. I adapt, but never conform. I am in constant revision, maintaining the facets that suit the life I anticipate. Nothing about me is small, no part is frail, no part dull. I aspire to everything you never dreamed of. Don't expect less from me; you'll be disappointed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home